Wednesday, November 26, 2008

InDesign Autocorrect

What a time saver the Autocorrect function has become for someone like me who has never had a formal typing class. Although I do use more then 2 fingers, I doubt I am even half as fast as the worst typist, on sleeping pills.
I never really used the Autocorrect function in InDesign until recently. I am translating an InDesign theory from Dutch into English and the word InDesign appears on just about every page. Someone suggested that I use the Autocorrect as a keyboard shortcut for the word InDesign.

Here's how:
1. In the InDesign menu go to Preferences> Autocorrect.
2. Check the Enable Autocorrect button

3. Select your language and make sure your document is also set to the same language.

4. Click Add and fill in the fields and click OKWhen your list is done click OK.

Instead of typing the word InDesign, I just type the letters zx (keys next to each other and I don't think the letter combination will appear in the English theory book) and InDesign changes that into the word InDesign as soon as I hit the spacebar.

Another frequent 'fast finger' mistake I make is THe instead of The, or THis instead of This etc. So I set these in the Autocorrect dialogue box.Yes I know the Spelling Check will recognise Indesign without the capital D as a mistake as well as THe at the beginning of a sentance, but having InDesign do it immediatedly and not have to do it manually with Check Spelling is quite the time saver.

Okay, so check spelling may be good enough for you, but someone will be grateful for this tip if they have to write a tourist guide for the Welsh town of
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll-gogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysilio-gogogoch
(Llanfairpwllgwyngyll short form) and yes, it does exist.I wonder how big the ticket stubs are? One way ticket to …

No comments: